Friday, September 14, 2012

Twitter

Is Twitter blocked in your school (it is at the school I am working in today grrrrrrrr).

It's interesting for me to reflect on this knowing that several of 'my' schools are successfully using Twitter (and other Social Networking tools) to connect and communicate with home, whanau and community.

Many schools (the forward thinking ones? hmmmm the 'up with the play' ones?) encourage their teachers to form strong Professional Learning Networks (PLN's) so why block sites such as Twitter?

I would be lost without Twitter, yes, it takes time to establish a 'worthy' network.

Tip: Follow me @paulajamieson then look at my followers list and follow who you think interests you, read their bio.

I don't use Twitter for personal use, I'm NOT interested in what you had for breakfast.......but I AM interested in useful research, current 'happenings', reflective blogs, collaborative projects, conferences and professional learning groups. I even use Twitter to problem solve for me.......I can ask a question and 9 times out of ten have it answered within minutes!

Twitter is my professional learning.....free and accessible when I want or need it and connected to educators throughout the world who I value and would never possibly have the opportunity to connect with otherwise! I have to admit I often feel like 'my friends live in my laptop or iPad' - I've been lucky enough to meet lots of my fellow 'Tweeters' at Tweet Meets and conferences so bonds are now even stronger.

Get on Twitter, I strongly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, visit again soon.