Monday, September 17, 2012

Education Shapes You

I attended a professional learning opportunity today.......at my old high school (shudder). It was my first time returning after more than 20 years of 'life'. I felt ill just walking through the gate, insecure, uneasy. It lead me to reflect and question as I walked towards the space I'd occupy for the day.

Education really does shape your life, it impacts on who you are and who you become. 

I realised how totally different I am to those teachers who were once in front of me. I realised how purposeful I had been in making sure I was different in almost every way. I believe in inclusiveness, in building a rapport, in seeing potential in each and every learner.

I also acknowledge that I am a Primary trained teacher and after talking with Secondary Teachers today I accept they are dealing with 'a whole different kettle of fish' (not so much in relation to the learner but to the curriculum, the MOE expectations and the 'goalposts that are forever changing').

Today's PD included
Chrisse Butler from Core Education - Blended E-Learning Special Needs facilitator - 'Teaching and Learning'.

Janelle Riki from Core Education - Te Reo me ona Tikanga Maori -  'Maori achieving as Maori'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, visit again soon.